Happy New Year to you all! Hope 2013 will bring you health, excitement, adventures, fun, laughs (loads) and anything you wish and are working hard on.
It is New Year and many, many of us set New Years resolutions. Put a list together (either written or mentally) things we want to improve, achieve, get rid of, become better etc. The majority are probably loss weight, become fitter, start running, eat healthier, reduce alcohol consumption… You get the picture. So we are all set and ready to attack. We are so excited, motivated, full of energy, running to the shop and buy things we never though of buying (we don’t even know if we need it, how to use or what this thing does and if the claims are true), joining gym… We can visualise our goal, we know what we have to do. Until…..
Let me tell you the truth – New Years Resolutions don’t work! Boom! I know we don’t like to hear it or acknowledge that fact. But that is the truth. And why? Because they won’t last long, we get tired and bored, we get frustrated, we lose motivation, then the time issue, other commitments, other excuses, bad weather and and and. So after only few weeks we get somehow deflated, realise that it is harder than it seemed at the beginning. So what is the solution?
1. Don’t set New Years resolutions. It is good to have a starting point and 1st January seems like a good date to start something new (or get rid off) but somehow this particular date seems to be associated with a lot of pressure, from society. Start any day, any time. Start now!
2. Do it in stages. Step-by-step. Change, say two things first. For example, start walking more and eat more fruit and veg a day instead of bread or drink more water instead of soda/coke. See how it goes for few weeks, how you feel (and your family), once you got confident and comfortable, then change a few more of your habits. And so on. Be experimental with ingredients, recipes.
3. Be realistic and take time. Your body, your taste, your mood, your brain, your digestive system, your shopping trips need to adjust and it takes time. Don’t rush the pounds off. The more you rush to get rid of them, much quicker will those same pounds (and a bit more) be back. You don’t have (and it is not healthy) to loose all those pounds (of course depending on your body composition) in few weeks, months, or a year!
4. Don’t buy weight-loss products. Not only are those very expensive, but they don’t work and even if they do, then invariably only for limited time. But more important they can be very dangerous (potentially fatal). The only way is the good old fashion way – hard work! Which becomes easier and less time consuming once you progress further into the world of healthier life-style.
5.Don’t buy/consume any “light”, “diet” and so on products. Stick to whole-food, real food. Not only taste it better, those contain no preservatives, additives, sweeteners, sodium and any other hidden chemicals. But are full of vitamins, minerals and goodness.
6. Don’t listen to anyone else and what kind of diet their are on. In fact DO NOT diet. Everyone is different, everyone’s body compositions are different and everyone has unique metabolism. Listen to your body, find things out for yourself and which fits you (and your family).
7. And finally (for now)…. have fun. Enjoy what you are doing, what you are eating. If something you don’t like, find something else you think you might like. Try it, give it a go! Don’t be afraid of failing. The only way to know is to fail, get up and try again/something else (sometimes a little cry helps too). You never know what you will discover inside yourself. Maybe a hidden talent, which needs to come out (perhaps it is screaming at you and you just don’t hear it 🙂 ).
Don’t waste your time, your energy, your motivation, your money! Weight loss, healthy eating, exercises are a life-style (for many a life-style they choose and believe in).
And the final conclusion is, The New Years Resolutions Don’t work, unless YOU change YOUR life-style, your eating habits, get the right mindset, work on your will-power, become realistic, take time, enjoy and have fun. Then and only then will it work!